Official C3 New Member Introduction Thread

Any L5R related discussion go here.

Re: Official C3 New Member Introduction Thread

Postby Raijin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Welcome to the Crab Clan and enjoy your stay.
Crab Clan - Samurai - Shadowlands - Legion of the Damned
ImageImage
Raijin
Taisa

Postby Hiruma Shachi » Wed May 21, 2014 10:47 am

Hi, I've been playing since Samurai edition, and Crab is the only clan I'll ever consider playing, it just speaks to my soul if that makes any kind of sense.
Hiruma Shachi
Hohei

Postby Dirty Yasuki » Thu May 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Around here, talk like that makes all kinds of sense. Welcome! :beer:
Dirty Yasuki
Kami

Postby Kaiu Tamotsu » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Hello there! A loyal Crab during Gold, after a decade or so hiatus, I've finally returned to the Great Carpenter Wall. A lot has changed while I've been away, but it's good to be back.
"Did you believe your size, your strength would overcome the Crab? As if we have not seen larger enemies. As if we have not killed stronger foes." - Hida Kisada
Kaiu Tamotsu
Nikutai

Postby Yasuki Yamakori » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Good to have you back!
Yasuki Yamakori
Kolat Master

Postby Hida Korada » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:39 pm

Hey I'm new here. Glad to be where the crab gather. It's been a long journey getting here. Been interested in l5r since I was younger. Not sure what card edition was out a good 11 years ago. Found out about l5r with the 3rd edition oriental adventures but perhaps first by reading the clan war books. I'm a long time dnd dungeon master and player mostly second and 3rd edition. Some dead lands and d20modern for the last 13 years. Always wanted to get into l5r but didn't have any friends interested in the cards. I bought a few decks back then but had no idea what I was doing by myself. I played the l5r fourth edition at a local shop for a few games till it stopped. Rpg that is. Also I have some old books like way of the crab second edition. None of my local game shops carry much l5r stuff so I have ordered A matter of honor. A few of my close friends are going to try it out with me. Crab have always been my favorite with their eternal war with the shadowlands. My wife thinks I'm crazy as I'm so stoked waiting for these cards I've been shouting Crab Clan! Whenever I have to go do something. "Honey can you take out the garbage." I jump up shouting "Crab Clan!" Anyway I'm going to start with ivory as it's the most available and newest but I have always wanted to play the clan war stuff as it's my favorite time period with Hida Kisada. Wasnt able to find cards for that sadly in packs online. Much has changed since the clan war that I can see. Is there a place to get a detailed update since after the novels four winds? I heard something about colonies and the shadowlands taint not doing anything unless u accepted it or something. I kind of liked how dangerous the taint was before. Any advice for a new player would be wonderful. I'm afraid I still have many rules and terms to learn.

We are the wall!

Hida Korada
Hida Korada
Gunso

Postby Yasuki Binbo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:55 pm

Welcome aboard! No go punch a spider!
Rob McColl---- Still the worst. Suzume Shindo WC4 (Hiruma Shindo)
Coin and Steel Shipping Securities - We hire the very best whether they know it or not.
C38
Yasuki Binbo
Kami

Postby wrongspeedy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Hey I am a returning Defender of the Wall who hasn't been around since Lotus. I just wanted to pop in and also welcome Korada! The Crab always needs more substance for the thresher.

Your question regarding storyline from the Four Winds till now might better be answered by someone else but I know that this thread had some info on the past few years. Some of the rpg books might have some of the information your looking for as well.

http://www.crabclan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9218

Advice can be difficult to give. Good advice that is. Really depends on your situation. If you can find a play group that is already kind of well established it really benefited me to jump right in and play as many games as I could while asking as many questions as I could. The rules have changed a lot since I last played so somethings are more difficult for me to understand but since you don't have the old rules to bugger you up it might be even easier than it was for me.

I also asked the people in my group if it was okay for me to use proxies for a deck until I could collect some of the harder to find cards. They said okay and I was able to basically copy a deck directly from this forum that looked fun. I made a few slight changes based on my preferences. And viola I had a great deck that was fun to play and fun to play against.

If your just learning to play with friends who are also new to the game I wouldn't bother proxying anything. If you get a few people interested its a great learning experience when you are all on the same level and you don't have to worry about someone crushing everyone else with a deck that has been fine tuned for competitive play. I think people learn at a more comfortable pace that way. I would only buy cards from Ivory Edition, The Coming Storm, and A Line in the Sand currently unless you are really interested in playing in a completely open environment or you are just collecting cards for nostalgia. I still hold on to some of my old stuff and I have regretted selling a few of my older cards (All my Hida Sukune's T.T) when I stopped playing years ago.

Good luck soldier!
MoZi

"His mettle will be tested first here. It will be tested again."
wrongspeedy
Shireikan

Postby shineyorkboy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:07 pm

Hida Korada wrote:Hey I'm new here. Glad to be where the crab gather. It's been a long journey getting here. Been interested in l5r since I was younger. Not sure what card edition was out a good 11 years ago. Found out about l5r with the 3rd edition oriental adventures but perhaps first by reading the clan war books. I'm a long time dnd dungeon master and player mostly second and 3rd edition. Some dead lands and d20modern for the last 13 years. Always wanted to get into l5r but didn't have any friends interested in the cards. I bought a few decks back then but had no idea what I was doing by myself. I played the l5r fourth edition at a local shop for a few games till it stopped. Rpg that is. Also I have some old books like way of the crab second edition. None of my local game shops carry much l5r stuff so I have ordered A matter of honor. A few of my close friends are going to try it out with me. Crab have always been my favorite with their eternal war with the shadowlands. My wife thinks I'm crazy as I'm so stoked waiting for these cards I've been shouting Crab Clan! Whenever I have to go do something. "Honey can you take out the garbage." I jump up shouting "Crab Clan!" Anyway I'm going to start with ivory as it's the most available and newest but I have always wanted to play the clan war stuff as it's my favorite time period with Hida Kisada. Wasnt able to find cards for that sadly in packs online. Much has changed since the clan war that I can see. Is there a place to get a detailed update since after the novels four winds? I heard something about colonies and the shadowlands taint not doing anything unless u accepted it or something. I kind of liked how dangerous the taint was before. Any advice for a new player would be wonderful. I'm afraid I still have many rules and terms to learn.

We are the wall!

Hida Korada

Welcome to the wall. I also got into the setting through the d&d books. I did a recap here that will take you from the end of the Destroyer War past a 25 year time skip to the present. Getting from the Four Winds era to the end of the Destroyer War is a significant chunk of time that I can't get into right now. If you have the stomach for and archive binge I recommend [url]kazenoshiro.com[/url] they have all the official fictions. Ever.
Kolat * Merchant * Tactician * Loyal * The Poet Crab * The John Paul Jones of Rokugan
Hida Keigo @ WC III
Kasuga Aizawa @ WC IV
shineyorkboy
Shireikan

Postby Hida Korada » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:50 am

Hey thanks for the great info! Once I get the cards and play through the first few games I'll let u know how it goes. I've seen that some cards from older versions are ivory legal. Is there someplace I can see which ones are like a list? For example a saw a Hida o ushi card that was apparently ivory legal.
Hida Korada
Gunso

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion