KHXP 101.9FM, The Home of Rock (Scout discard/recycle)

Discuss L5R decks and strategies here.

KHXP 101.9FM, The Home of Rock (Scout discard/recycle)

Postby Hida Koutetsu » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:42 am

The deck name comes from the acronym for Kyuden Hida Experienced sounding like the call letters of a radio station.

Kyuden Hida (Experienced)
Border Keep non-experienced (later dynasty flush can be essential for the deck)
Bamboo Harvesters non-experienced (gold on turn 2 is important to get rolling vs. non-military and high honor military)

Dynasty (41)

Celestials (2)
Hida's Guidance
Saibankan's Justice

Holdings (15)
Colonial Harbor (x3)
Debt Collector (x2)
Iron Mine (x3)
Recruitment Officer (x3)
Chugo Seido
Expendable Resources
Stolen Merchandise
Traveling Peddler

Personalities (23)
Hiruma Akio (x3) - 5G
Hiruma Ikuya (x2) - 7G
Hiruma Seiko (x3) - 5G
Hiruma Toshio (x2) - 7G
Tennyo (x3) - 7G
Toritaka Chokichi (x2) - 7G
Toritaka Horoiso (x2) - 8G
Toritake Okabe (x2) - 6G
Hida Kuon (Exp. 6) - 14G
Hida Yaheiko (Exp.) - 11G
Hiruma Akio (Exp.) - 7G (4HR)
Hiruma Etsuro - 6G

Regions (1)
Mountainous Region

Fate (42)

Rings (2)
Ring of the Void
Ring of Water

Strategies (40)
A Yojimbo's Duty (x3)
Border Ambush (x2)
Brothers in Battle (x2)
Concentrated Fire (x2)
Disrupting Communication (x3)
Heart of Darkness (x2)
Hunting the Daughter (x3)
Peasant Vengeance (x2)
Proper Deference (x2)
Scouting Far Afield (x3)
Seeking the Truth (x3)
Shameful and Cowardly (x3)
Strategic Strike (x2)
The Height of Courage (x2)
Unwelcome Supervision (x3)
A Game of Dice
Creating Order
Relentless Conviction

This deck generates four kinds of created cards:
- Kyuden Hida followers (KH Survivor token cards)
- Hiruma Toshio followers (Farmland Conscripts token cards)
- Recruitment Officer personalities (I use Kuronada XP deckbackers)
- Toritaka Horoiso clone personalities (I use Hida Kuon deckbackers)

I have a set of these sleeved in different colors to make them easy to find when picking up cards after a match.

The deck operates on swarm principle: get as many bodies on the board as possible. There are a number of two-of personalities, since their use is a bit toolboxy: Tennyo vs. honor/dishonor, big attachment, or cavalry; Chokichi vs. DGC or the mirror; Akio basic vs. huge force; Horoiso and Toshio when additional force is necessary. Against a military deck, fish as quickly as possible for the Colonial Harbor to make your defense decisions substantially easier. Ideal first two turns is Colonial Harbor/Recruitment Officer + Iron Mine + 7G Personality.

The fate contains many two-of cards as well, but there are a few clutch three-ofs: both Unwelcome Supervision and Disrupting Communication whittle your opponent's hand down to nothing, making it a battle of abilities and force which scouts are good at winning. Hunting the Daughter is too good not to run three of. Three each of the recycler cards may seem excessive, but trust me, it works to get back the key pieces at the right time -- just remember to use Seeking the Truth in battles where they don't bother defending against your horde.

Minor dishonor theme: Saibankan's Justice, Shameful and Cowardly, Relentless Conviction plus various other kill actions. Rather than fight against Crane anti-event meta, I use chip-dishonor to pull them back to a realistic level, and Proper Deference to stop them from rocketing to victory. Why PD over Only Actions Speak? OAS' second action isn't useful in the deck otherwise; -4F to a personality or follower can either win battles or drag someone into ranged attack territory. Shameful and Cowardly allows them a bit of tempo, but if they use their Wall of Honor to leave, it's not gaining them anything towards the win.

Two Celestials? Ideally, you want to use Saibankan's as soon as possible after it turns up if Hida's hasn't flipped -- the anti-lobby does you no good if it gets knocked out. Hida's provides extra province strength vs. military which is nice, and offers endgame options that force the opponent into bad choices.

Kuon is a macguffin; either he draws all of your opponent's attention or you get to use him for his sole intended purpose in this deck: 12 Gold + Hida's = province.

Feel free to ask questions about how the deck plays or card choices; I will answer as best as I can.
Crab Clan • Samurai • Veteran • Kolat • Majority Whip
2014 Kansas City Kotei winner
Mah cards: Yagimaki's Fist • Yasuki Dokansuto • Staging Grounds • Disciples of Master Coin
L5R CCG singles for sale at DocAngst.com
“Wonderful!” roared Dokansuto. “Seven tanuki!”
Hida Koutetsu
2009 Cock Clan Champion

Re: KHXP 101.9FM, The Home of Rock (Scout discard/recycle)

Postby Dirty Yasuki » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:15 am

interesting deck jeff and glad to see it worked out so well for you. congrats again.
Dirty Yasuki
Kami

Postby bigjim » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:57 pm

I played against it last night. It's a tough deck. I like it and hate it at the same time. Good job Jeff
bigjim
Nikutai

Postby Yasuki Tazo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Your list is much improved over what I have been working with. I am looking forward to adjusting and playtesting the differences. In consideration of the mirror and other follower-heavy decks, I have been toying with Hiruma Aki exp to massacre incoming followers on my first defensive action. Would he be a worthwhile include, or am I just diluting my synergy?
Yasuki Tazo
Hohei

Postby hida cuku » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:03 am

Used almost the same deck during the pacrim championship.

The deck is really good offensively
hida cuku
Taisa

Postby Hida Koutetsu » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:01 am

Yasuki Tazo wrote:Your list is much improved over what I have been working with. I am looking forward to adjusting and playtesting the differences. In consideration of the mirror and other follower-heavy decks, I have been toying with Hiruma Aki exp to massacre incoming followers on my first defensive action. Would he be a worthwhile include, or am I just diluting my synergy?

Depending on how much you expect to see followers (and yes, Crab scouts is a powerful end-of-CE deck, so you will probably get a few), you might swap out Akio XP for her brother. I find that Akio is a heavy target for control decks -- that Ranged Attack plus a minimum +3F is anathema to them; Aki is just brute force plus different meta and could slot in there easily.

hida cuku wrote:Used almost the same deck during the pacrim championship.

The deck is really good offensively

Messing with your opponent's hand, forcing them into bad defending decisions, and splitting attacks to draw off and kill defenders with harpoon is just lovely. How did you end up doing at PacRim?
Mah cards: Yagimaki's Fist • Yasuki Dokansuto • Staging Grounds • Disciples of Master Coin
Hida Koutetsu
2009 Cock Clan Champion

Postby Hida Tadaka » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:57 am

Really enjoyed chatting with you about the deck Saturday. You made some very valid observations and made me rethink some of my own deck choices. Kudos on going so far in the tourney as well. :thumbup:
"Fill my soul with war?” Benjiro chuckled. “My friend, the soul of a Crab is nothing but war."
Hida Tadaka
Rikugunshokan

Postby Hida Koutetsu » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:39 pm

Changes post-SC:

-1 Hida's Guidance
-1 Hida Kuon
-1 Hida Yaheiko
-2 Toritaka Horoiso
-1 Hiruma Etsuro

+1 Jurojin's Blessing (aka Recycler #7)
+2 Hiruma Nikaru
+1 Toritaka Chokichi
+1 Hiruma Toshio
+1 Yasuki Jinn-Kuen (aka Colonial Harbor #4)

Rounds out the gold curve better, and replaces the (expensive) heavy hitters with 2 copies of the best Battle action for 7G that Crab can buy.

-2 Peasant Vengeance

+2 Game of Sincerity

Another setup for Relentless Conviction; a better way for the deck to deal with big units; and a potential double-whammy for honor decks. (Lose 2. Okay, now lose 3 more when he dies.)
Hida Koutetsu
2009 Cock Clan Champion

Postby Hida Tadama » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:47 am

I assume by dropping Peasant Vengeance you're confident you have enough kill on board in the ranged attacks etc? I can't help but feel this change is a mistake, as it's been indispensible. It's a simple kill and anti- RA can't stop it. Attachments can of course but other parts of the deck are there to deal with that.

I agree with dropping the big guys and placing Jurojin, I'm doing the same. Though I'm not keen on dropping Horoiso, he's such a fundamental part of getting the deck the bodies it needs. I'll try and post mine here as I'm looking for the right tweaks myself!
Hida Tadama
2009 Champion of Oz

Postby Hida Koutetsu » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:01 am

Hida Tadama wrote:I assume by dropping Peasant Vengeance you're confident you have enough kill on board in the ranged attacks etc? I can't help but feel this change is a mistake, as it's been indispensible. It's a simple kill and anti- RA can't stop it. Attachments can of course but other parts of the deck are there to deal with that.

I agree with dropping the big guys and placing Jurojin, I'm doing the same. Though I'm not keen on dropping Horoiso, he's such a fundamental part of getting the deck the bodies it needs. I'll try and post mine here as I'm looking for the right tweaks myself!

The way I look at it, there are enough fiddly attachments (mirror match, Nakanu Technique, Grateful goddamn Reward) that PV is straight up dead in hand an unacceptably high percentage of the time. Game is another dishonor engine, and wrecks Kensai (a deck against which PV does zero). You can then use your zeroed Recruitment Officer token for Scouting Far Afield or (if you can take the honor hit) Expendable Resources.

Horoiso proved to be problematic in gold cost, like the larger folks. Now, if you look at the overall personality scheme, they're all 5/7/9 with the exception of Okabe, who makes RAs bigger and can be purchased off the box cheap. Horoiso was also the favored target of control schemes; dropping one for a third Toshio makes a guaranteed +2F at the province instead of a costly +3F only if I can manage to assign somehow. The other one dropped for a third Chokichi making the RA personality count in the deck 7, and making "shoot through followers" a bit more consistent.
Hida Koutetsu
2009 Cock Clan Champion

Next

Return to Decks and Strategies