Crab Choke

Discuss L5R decks and strategies here.

Crab Choke

Postby HidaHayabusa » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:05 am

Hello,

This is the Crab/Phoenix deck that I've been playing a lot, and ended up on this mix of cards. The idea is to have a soft 'dishonor' lock that will help you get the control of the game. Your focus is still military mainly, but the whole concept is to force an opponent to lack of options due to a threatening dishonor victory. If you face a clumsy opponent (high biddings) or you manage to resolve multiple Ring of Airs, you can easily dishonor them.

Here's the list:

Shiro Nishiyama
Keeper of Air

(Air) Manicured Garden
(Earth) Defend the Wall
(Fire) Meditations on the Tao
(Void) Pilgrimage
(Water) Rally to the Cause

Dynasty Deck (40)

Character (34)
3x Borderlands Defender
3x Hida Kisada
2x Hida Guardian
3x Eager Scout
3x Hiruma Yōjimbō
3x Intimidating Hida
3x Kaiu Envoy
3x Kaiu Shuichi
3x Shrewd Yasuki
3x Steadfast Witch Hunter
3x Vanguard Warrior
2x Keeper Initiate

Holding (6)
2x Imperial Storehouse
1x Funeral Pyre
2x Favorable Ground
1x Borderlands Fortifications

Conflict Deck (40)

Event (25)
3x Banzai!
2x Charge!
3x Display of Power ///// ////
3x Rout
2x The Mountain Does Not Fall
3x Way of the Crab
3x Assassination
3x Court Games
3x Levy

Attachment (9)
1x Pacifism //
3x Ornate Fan
3x Watch Commander
2x Reprieve

Character (6)
2x Hiruma Ambusher
2x Seeker of Knowledge //
2x Stoic Gunsō

The gameplay:

Always bid low. Talking about 1-2 early turns. Never pay more than one fate on your people, since the small ones have a very grim fate (Pyre, Witchhunter, Gunso, Way of the Crab, Vanguard Warrior). The only time it's fine to pay 1 fate on a small man, is when you are planning to get to a good Way of the Crab value. The idea is that you defend and counterattack at strategic timing, while Displaying your Power by claiming rings instead of your opponent.

You want to give additional fate to your 3-5 cost people and protect them a bit through Reprieve. Most of my games were won through dishonor, or by having dishonor enabling easy provinces by locking the opponent out of actions.

If the game goes as planned you can spam Keeper Initiates throughout the game, play easy Assassinations that follow up value Ways of the Crab and you can lock something out of meaningful battle by Watch Commander.

Early on, attack a lot with small people, making opponents either commit bigger people or just give you a Ring or even lose 1 honor. Early provinces with Banzai's/Charges to Yojimbo aren't too rare, but I wouldn't really chase the opportunity. Scouting, winning small battles and making people overcommit to attack in order to Display and counterattack.

Odd card choices:
1 Pyre: Amazing card, but I am really disappointed to have a second copy pop up.
3 Levy: When you are playing in an unknown environment, Levy is good. When people learn to play around it, it's mediocre. It's definitely a good card if you are going the dishonor route, but not entirely needed for the deck to function.
The Phoenix spash: Imho, Crabs are not the military that used to be. They do have a dishonor theme on their cards, so at least in the Core environment, it's a pity not to use it. In addition, Display of Power is BRUTAL, since Ring effects are the strongest effects in the game right now. I also enjoy the Seeker of Knowledge a lot. Pacifism is there to complete the influence points, but if you don't want it just swap it for a third Seeker.

Crabs have changed a lot, and I am quite happy that we are not given the same treatment that we were given all those years. Now the decks aren't all about big people with a stick running around like monsters and hitting stuff. It's a bit more strategic right now, and I am loving it so far.
Crab Clan * Mojomaker * Tactical Loyalist * Slightly Kolat * Almost Jade Hand * Officially Elite * House Mormont * Dothraki * exp.6
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Re: Crab Choke

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:17 pm

our lists are pretty similar. however im running shameful display instead of Pilgrimage which i think helps with the dishonor victory condition more.
"Tanuki never waste sake, and so it leaped from the stump to catch the cup before it spilled." - Toritaka Kouseki
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Postby HidaHayabusa » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Yes it's quite good, but how it helps the dishonor victory?
Crab Clan * Mojomaker * Tactical Loyalist * Slightly Kolat * Almost Jade Hand * Officially Elite * House Mormont * Dothraki * exp.6
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:24 pm

they lose honor when you kill off their dishonored guy
"Tanuki never waste sake, and so it leaped from the stump to catch the cup before it spilled." - Toritaka Kouseki
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Postby HidaMizutoshi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:59 am

How about Spies at Court instead of Levy? This helps choke out the enemy even more.
"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"
HidaMizutoshi
Ashigaru

Postby HidaHayabusa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:26 am

Hida Kenshiro wrote:they lose honor when you kill off their dishonored guy

Indeed, when it leaves play. Although I've come across lots of battle honoring (Court Games is everywhere), so I completely passed on the thought that something dishonored dying will lose them 1 honor.

Yes, Spies at the court is quite nice, especially if you want to force higher bids later on. Good idea.
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby WhiteDragon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:09 am

Very cool concept, I'm definitely going to have to try it out. Thanks for sharing and great to see you again Hayabusa :beer:
WhiteDragon
Master of Epic Fail

Postby Hiruma Teri » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Your Influence is one too high. 3 Displays are 9 Influence, 2 Seekers are 4, and Pacifism is 1. That's 14. I'd cut the Pacifism or change 1 Display into another Seeker or Pacifism.
Hiruma Teri
BH #...2007
Saiko Komon, Kamisasori no Kaisho
Hiruma Teri
Shireikan

Postby HidaHayabusa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Seeker is one each, not two. Pacifism is two.
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby Hiruma Teri » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:24 pm

My bad, I got them backwards.
Hiruma Teri
BH #...2007
Saiko Komon, Kamisasori no Kaisho
Hiruma Teri
Shireikan

Next

Return to Decks and Strategies