The Unholy Alliance

Discuss L5R decks and strategies here.

The Unholy Alliance

Postby HidaHayabusa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:59 am

If something is worse than allying with Shadowlands, it's allying with Cranes. Piloted this in a 6-1 and a 4-0 record (two Learn2Play 3x core tournaments). It's built having in mind the popularity of Scorpion clan, and the fact that political clans have a really good game right now (negates, card draw, attachment control). It uses Duelist training to defend against Political decks, and when against other military, as a means to screw up with their honor. Crane also provides Political Rival and Stewards who are amazing against Scorpions. Also Admit Defeat is as good as Mirumoto's fury since I've rarely seen defenses done with more than one character.

The idea is to bid low (3 and less), pay 1 fate on your good characters and then Reprieve/Vanguard/duplicate to have them hang around for more turns than they should. Here's the list:

Shiro Nishiyama

Keeper of Air

Manicured Garden Air
Defend the Wall Earth
Meditations on the Tao Fire
Shameful Display Void
Rally to the Cause Water

Influence: 13/13

Dynasty Deck (40)

Character (34)
3x Borderlands Defender
3x Eager Scout
2x Hida Guardian
3x Hida Kisada
3x Hiruma Yōjimbō
3x Intimidating Hida
3x Kaiu Envoy
3x Kaiu Shuichi
2x Keeper Initiate
3x Shrewd Yasuki
3x Steadfast Witch Hunter
3x Vanguard Warrior

Holding (6)

3x Favorable Ground
1x Funeral Pyre
2x Imperial Storehouse

Conflict Deck (40)

Event (21)
2x Admit Defeat ////
3x Assassination
3x Banzai!
2x Charge!
3x Court Games
2x Rout
3x The Mountain Does Not Fall
3x Way of the Crab

Attachment (13)
3x Duelist Training ///
2x Fine Katana
2x Ornate Fan
3x Reprieve
3x Watch Commander

Character (6)
2x Political Rival ////
2x Steward of Law //
2x Stoic Gunsō

I think that the last version I played is 41 cards (division by 0 incoming) with an additional Fine Katana.
Crab Clan * Mojomaker * Tactical Loyalist * Slightly Kolat * Almost Jade Hand * Officially Elite * House Mormont * Dothraki * exp.6
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Re: The Unholy Alliance

Postby Vorrt » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:42 am

Do you ever have issues with Fate management to afford Political Rival?
Vorrt
Hohei

Postby HidaHayabusa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:03 am

Almost always, playing Rival requires a full turn of setup. Especially since most of the times, Rival carries the game, it needs to come out with fate. So, yes, consider it as a full turn-investment against political heavy clans.
Crab Clan * Mojomaker * Tactical Loyalist * Slightly Kolat * Almost Jade Hand * Officially Elite * House Mormont * Dothraki * exp.6
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby Larro » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:05 am

Very cool deck and great job with it!

Only 1 Pyre? A bit surprising despite lack of cards like Beserker. Generally we bid kind of low, figured any extra draw would be worthwhile and Pyre has been really good in all of my games. Could go to 2/2/2 Holding spread?

- Larry
Larro
Ashigaru

Postby HidaHayabusa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:25 am

Sure, you should give it a try. I started with 3 Pyres, went down to 2, and now 1.
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby Hida Honk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:55 am

My deck is almost identical. I do play 2 prye but one will cycle out with the first dynasty pack. I am not sure about the stewards of law. Against scorp they can backfire as the can use their "for shame" without any setup. I really like the 3x admit defeat. Overall, I think the splash is very good for crab after testing it. Dragons seems better on the first glance but due to the high number of cancel cards in popular decks, a more attachment and conflict peep oriented approach seems better.
Conquest Czech Republic National Champ 2016 * Conquest Nordic National Champion 2015 * Belgian Crab Clan Champion 2014 * German Crab Clan Champion 2013 * Crab Clan Standard Bearer 2004 & 2005 * TEAM BERLIN * Crab Clan * Shadowlands * Traveling Onisu
Hida Honk
Shireikan

Postby HidaHayabusa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:44 am

Stewards can be amazing or useless. I have them because MOST of the times it screws up Calling in favors/Forged Edicts (at least during conflicts). Also it's a 1 for 1/1 which isn't all that bad.

3 Admit Defeat is just crazy good right now, and I agree that I would go that way if I did remove the Stewards. My biggest issue with the deck is that I need to be very careful on fate management, so the games are quite long and tedious.

This version (2 Rivals, 2 Stewards, 3 Duelist Training) is very good against Scorpions, and Scorpions right now are very popular.
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby Hida Honk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 am

What do you think about above question? Could be good against all the funny events.
Conquest Czech Republic National Champ 2016 * Conquest Nordic National Champion 2015 * Belgian Crab Clan Champion 2014 * German Crab Clan Champion 2013 * Crab Clan Standard Bearer 2004 & 2005 * TEAM BERLIN * Crab Clan * Shadowlands * Traveling Onisu
Hida Honk
Shireikan

Postby HidaHayabusa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:03 am

Not a bad card, but I think it's too greedy. Space-wise and also because we do have Reprieves also.
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby Hida Tadama » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:33 am

Great to see you posting decks as diligently as ever Hayabusa.

I am going to try a deck like this for Crab, and as were only just getting to launch event I haven't played much. I was wondering if there's a strategy choice to which province goes under the stronghold?

Any tips on how heavily to favour putting out multiple personalities from dynasty with little fate for the hand in the first turn, or perhaps it is best to only bring out two and keep 2-3 fate for hand immediately?

It looks like Crab isn't so fast/big unit oriented right now so it will be interesting to try this.
Hida Tadama
2009 Champion of Oz

Next

Return to Decks and Strategies