Bear Cavalry

Discuss L5R decks and strategies here.

Bear Cavalry

Postby HidaHayabusa » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:55 am

This is the list I've been trying in my offline (non OCTGN) games, and it undergoes changes almost 'daily'. This version seems the most consistent one.

Shiro Nishiyama
Keeper of Air

Manicured Garden
Ancestral Lands
Meditations on the Tao
Pilgrimage
Rally to the Cause

Influence: 12/13, 1 remaining

Dynasty Deck (40)

Character (34)

3x Borderlands Defender
3x Hida Guardian
3x Hida Kisada
2x Hiruma Yōjimbō
3x Intimidating Hida
3x Kaiu Envoy
3x Kaiu Shuichi
3x Keeper Initiate
2x Otomo Courtier
3x Shrewd Yasuki
3x Steadfast Witch Hunter
3x Vanguard Warrior

Holding (6)
1x Borderlands Fortifications
2x Favorable Ground
1x Funeral Pyre
2x Imperial Storehouse

Conflict Deck (40)

Event (20)
2x Assassination
3x Banzai!
1x Captive Audience ///
3x Charge!
3x Court Games
1x Rebuild
2x Rout
3x The Mountain Does Not Fall
2x Way of the Crab

Attachment (15)
3x Fine Katana
3x Ornate Fan
3x Reprieve
3x Spyglass ///// /
3x Watch Commander

Character (5)
3x Iuchi Wayfinder ///
2x Stoic Gunsō

How to play:

The strategy is a midrange focused Dynasty, that aims to reach the peak of its strength by turn 3. To do this you want to see a 3-4 cost guy early along with a 1 cost guy. Ideally, you go Borderlands Defender/Intimidating Hida with 2 fate, and a Hida Guardian/Envoy with no fate and aim to take a province, while defending IF you have Mountain does not fall/Assassination to save a province. Witch Hunter is also fantastic early, especially if have a Spyglass.

Having found a Spyglass that doesn't die instantly to Let Go you can start bidding lower than you should, getting cards from the attachment and the Yasuki/Envoy. From then on, you need to utilise the tools you draw according to the situation.

Rebuilds are good, but as sets are released they will become amazing. Even the next pack that introduces Karada District, adds an additional good holding to fish back. Rebuild also enables Guardians/Yasuki in-battle and funky tricks with Favorable Ground. I could easily run 2 but I decided to go with 1 for the 'tech slot' until more solid holdings are released.

Worst matchup is Crane by far, due to the inability to react to Guest of Honor. Then Scorpion is also tricky since you need to predict their I can Swim and Spyglass stealing (meaning you need to play other good attachments first to bait them). Good matchups are usually against fast aggro, since your provinces are quite resilient to token attacks and this can buy you time.

Card choices:

No Eager Scout: Passing is crucial with this. On turn 2 for instance you may want to buy a big guy with lots of fate to join your surviving turn 1 guy. Scout doesn't add much, so I gave his slot to Otomo Courtier who is at least a good turn 1 attacker, and even if you don't get the favor, a good politics defender.

No Defend the Wall: Never did anything for me. To play it you need to overcommit to defense or draw Mountain does not fall on your best character. Including this means that you are also putting Rally to the Cause under the box, which isn't always nice. Ancestral lands in there is at least a 13 Province strength in political that is hard for any political deck to crack.

No 3 Ways of the Crab: Which in turn means no third Assassination. People learned how to play against WotC. They learned about it being played on Dynasty and Fate phase. Less surprises=more times that this was a dead card in hand. Also the maximum 1 per round is also making multiple copies in the same hand even worse.

The rest are quite standard 3 core choices.

Mulligan choices:

Dynasty-wise: Search for Borderlands defender/Intimidating Hida (to put two fate on) or Witch Hunter to put 1 fate on, and a 1 cost character. If you fail to find a 1 cost character invest less fate on the 3 cost guy so that you can buy the 2 cost guy that popped up.

Fate-wise: Spyglass/Force boosts/Assassination is amazing.

Honor bids:

Agressive at first turns, conservative from turn 2 and on.
Crab Clan * Mojomaker * Tactical Loyalist * Slightly Kolat * Almost Jade Hand * Officially Elite * House Mormont * Dothraki * exp.6
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Re: Bear Cavalry

Postby Vorrt » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:12 am

I tried this out against a friend last night. I liked how it flowed in the test game (going to test with this more this evening).
Vorrt
Hohei

Postby Hida Izanagi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:42 pm

Do you prefer this to the Crane splash deck? I've splashed just about every Clan, and the only one I don't like so far is the Scorpion Splash. Although I imagine that will change in time.
Crab Clan * Samurai * Kolat * Magistrate * Grumpy * Loyal
Hida Izanagi
Shireikan

Postby HidaHayabusa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Unicorn feels better against more decks. Crane splash is good but it needs a good draw enabling a Rival. However it can potentially be good against other Cranes due to Duelist Training being a good way to counter the Guest of Honor turns.
Crab Clan * Mojomaker * Tactical Loyalist * Slightly Kolat * Almost Jade Hand * Officially Elite * House Mormont * Dothraki * exp.6
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby Iatzek » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Could you please post the most recent version?

Do you still splash with Unicorns?

Thanks!
Iatzek
Defender of the Wall: Kotei '11

Postby HidaHayabusa » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:16 am

Yes, my current version runs the Cloud the mind package, going out of its way (by playing Ritsuko) and supporting two CtM.
There is also a version with 2 Gaijin customs instead, but I like the Clouds in the latest test session.

Will post the exact list when I am back from work. You can also search fiveringsdb.com for Bear Cavalry 6.0 - The Greyjoy touch.
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby HidaHayabusa » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:06 pm

There:

Shiro Nishiyama
Keeper of Earth
Manicured Garden Air
Ancestral Lands Earth
Meditations on the Tao Fire
Shameful Display Void
Rally to the Cause Water
Influence: 13/13

Dynasty Deck (40)
Character (32)
3x Borderlands Defender
3x Crisis Breaker
3x Hida Guardian
3x Hida Kisada
3x Kaiu Envoy
3x Kaiu Shuichi
2x Keeper Initiate
3x Kuni Ritsuko
3x Shrewd Yasuki
3x Steadfast Witch Hunter
3x Vanguard Warrior

Holding (8)
2x Favorable Ground
2x Imperial Storehouse
3x Iron Mine
1x Karada District

Conflict Deck (40)
Event (21)
2x Assassination
3x Banzai!
3x Charge!
3x Court Games
2x Policy Debate
2x Rebuild
3x The Mountain Does Not Fall
3x Way of the Crab
Attachment (13)
2x Cloud the Mind
3x Ornate Fan
3x Reprieve
3x Spyglass ///// /
2x Talisman of the Sun ////

Character (6)
3x Hiruma Skirmisher
3x Iuchi Wayfinder ///
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby Iatzek » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:02 am

Thank you!
Iatzek
Defender of the Wall: Kotei '11

Postby HidaHayabusa » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:38 am

By the way, I've completely cut Ritsuko. She is so bad that I never bought her, and the Clouds are playable with 6 shugenja, given that Witch Hunters are a top priority personality that you can keep for quite some time with Reprieves/Iron mInes.

I now run 2 Intimidating Hida/1 Keeper Initiate in her place. You can also play 2 Stoics, but they've fallen in usefulness lately.
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Return to Decks and Strategies