Current Crab (with Lion Sprinkle)

Discuss L5R decks and strategies here.

Current Crab (with Lion Sprinkle)

Postby Ketsueki-ken » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Hey y'all. I'm a returnee from long-ago. Never terribly active on forums; more of a lurker and a sometimes-chimer-inner, but a halfway decent player nonetheless. Crab and Unicorn have always been my tournament clans, but I'm not averse to trying other things. I like to say: preferential, not loyal. Just thought I'd post a deck, 'cause why not? This is what I've been playing recently, in all its flawed glory.

---

Shiro Nishiyama
Keeper of Air

Ancestral Lands (Under Stronghold)
Elemental Fury
Shameful Display
Manicured Garden
Meditations on the Tao

x3 Hida Kisada
x3 Kaiu Shuichi
x3 Steadfast Witch Hunter
x3 Borderlands Defender
x3 Intimidating Hida
x3 Vanguard Warrior
x3 Hiruma Yojimbo
x3 Shrewd Yasuki
x3 Keeper Initiate
x3 Kaiu Envoy
x3 Hida Guardian
x3 Eager Scout

x3 Imperial Storehouse
x1 Funeral Pyre

x3 Watch Commander
x3 Reprieve
x3 Ornate Fan
x3 Fine Katana

x3 Bonzai!
x3 Levy
x3 Court Games
x3 Assassination
x3 The Mountain Does Not Fall
x3 Way of the Crab
x3 Rout
x3 Charge!

x3 Stoic Gunso

x3 Ready for Battle ///

---

Some thoughts:

If I had to quantify my playstyle, it'd be balance (why don't I play Dragon? I dunno). I hate auto losses and I like multiple pressure points. So this pairs aggressive military with dishonor/defensive fallback.

Yes, the conflict deck is 42, and yes, it doesn't leverage lion to maximum capacity. I should probably find room for Vengeful Oathkeeper, but I've had him sit in hand as a mediocre conflict character, and that just bugs me. The same is true with For Greater Glory. Both can be excellent or meh.

Other things I'm debating:

Eager Scout vs Seppun Guardsman
Mediations on the Tao vs Night Raid
Holdings (how many?): It's neat how they enable abilities, but warm bodies are so clutch. As is, action sequence is paramount (not blowing Storehouses until abilities are used).
Ketsueki-ken
Nikutai

Re: Current Crab (with Lion Sprinkle)

Postby HidaHayabusa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Levy is a bit out of place. It won't help you early (they will give honor), and it won't help you late if you press their honor (they will give fate). You can change it with Vengeful Oathkeeper to add to the 'swarm'.

Stoic Gunso in 3 copies is just too much. You can cut 1 and maybe 1 Rout to get back to 40.

Dynasty-wise I think you can run 1 less scout and 1 less Yojimbo for 2 holdings. Going to 6 and making Guardians and Yasukis more reliable. Personally I tech in 1 Rebuild for that odd Guardian activation or Favorable move in.
Crab Clan * Mojomaker * Tactical Loyalist * Slightly Kolat * Almost Jade Hand * Officially Elite * House Mormont * Dothraki * exp.6
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby Ketsueki-ken » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Good input, thanks. I'll probably start by cutting 1x Levy, 1x Gunso, and 1x Rout, to slot in 2x Vengeful to sit at 41. :) Rebuild is interesting. Something I'll consider. The thing I like about Levy is its 0 fate cost. Even if the opponent thinks they can play around it, they often find themselves in a tight spot. But Rebuild occupies a similar zone of potential board control, albeit a little more my-sided.

I've found Yasukis quite reliable, even with 4 holdings, since they key off opponents holdings too. Guardians are more opportunistic, especially since they require buddies, such that I consider them circumstantial perks...but maybe I'm underestimating them.
Ketsueki-ken
Nikutai

Postby HidaHayabusa » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Most non-Crab holdings except Phoenix libraries are sacrificing themselves, so the Yasuki won't find much help from the opponent (and favorable isn't THAT hot).

Levy is great if you make a dishonor/resource chocking deck. But it's a completely different approach (more pyres,different splash for sure). So it's either a 3 of or none.
Crab Clan * Mojomaker * Tactical Loyalist * Slightly Kolat * Almost Jade Hand * Officially Elite * House Mormont * Dothraki * exp.6
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Postby Ketsueki-ken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Locally, I see Favorable Ground fairly frequently. As well as Staging Ground (so damn good, wish we had that). I seem to play against Lion a lot. That being said, I do like the -1 yojimbo, -1 scout, +2 holdings idea. I'll be tweaking these numbers to see what happens.

I'm not arguing for arguments sake, but I've found that an aggressive approach to crab is, in essence, a choking deck. By forcing conflicts, especially with Watch Commander in tow, the opponent must decide to spend fate and honor or lose provinces. So I don't think Levy is all or nothing, but that's just my humble opinion. I've definitely got some testing to do. And of course, the cardpool is about to change drastically.
Ketsueki-ken
Nikutai

Postby HidaHayabusa » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:20 am

You are right, the design of Crab does this exactly. The thing is that if you go aggressive you need cards, and cards for Crab are generated through holding interaction (Pyre/Storehouse/Envoy/Shrewd Yasuki). Especially if you go Lion Splash which is actually really good if you expect lots of Mirumoto's Fury out there, then you are passing on Spyglass, which is the other card draw generation for Crab.

The way you have built your deck, it is obvious that you do not have the stalling game in mind, so I bet that in your initial turn you will bid high in order to get cards that will drive your attacks. Crabs that utilize Levy as a choke card, bid 1-2 first turn in order to force the opponent to start bidding low in the following turn where your superior non-bid draw will generate advantage. So you are actually trading your initial turns for a future investment.

The Lion splash, is all about negating bows, playing Oathkeepers and attacking. The Choke concept is all about holding the back, until your engine gets rolling and they bid 1, can't play Assassination or Banzai and you get cards from Pyre/Yasuki etc.
HidaHayabusa
2009 European Champion

Return to Decks and Strategies