Ask Chris and Max anything

Discuss L5R stories and post fanfics here.

Re: Ask Chris and Max anything

Postby Doji Azai » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:28 pm

I think you will be happy to see the future of the clan now that we have a full ST to focus on individual clans. Some of your comments above...wait and see.

Who is the Hiruma Daimyo? Our other families? (we've got Kaiu, Hida & Kuni covered I believe, leaving Toritaka, Yasuki & Hiruma.)

This is being directly addressed.

Also: Are there any plans to show the crab/Spider war in the fiction? I know it snuck up on people after the GenCon rpg event was forgotten at the start of court: is there going to be room for it to occur in the onslaught of fictions that are already coming?

And how are last year's kotei wins going to play into that, if at all? I think Spider has a hostage they can gain, and the crab have 3 duels they get to win. (not saying they'll absolutely use them against each other, but let's face it, signs point towards likely.) How about Winter Court?

I am nearly positive that the actions between the Spider and Crab will be addressed in the story. I cannot, at this time, tell you how, but we would be remiss if we neglected to focus on this at all.
C Thomas Hand
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang at WC IV*Doji Azai*BackHand*Team Stella*Athos
L5R Story Team*L5R RPG Team
"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."
Doji Azai
AEG Story Team

Postby Iagosan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:39 pm

barswanian wrote:Also: Are there any plans to show the crab/Spider war in the fiction? I know it snuck up on people after the GenCon rpg event was forgotten at the start of court: is there going to be room for it to occur in the onslaught of fictions that are already coming?

And how are last year's kotei wins going to play into that, if at all? I think Spider has a hostage they can gain, and the crab have 3 duels they get to win. (not saying they'll absolutely use them against each other, but let's face it, signs point towards likely.) How about Winter Court?

I would like to see at least one of these duels happen during an actual battle. In the midst of bloodshed and gore, one dude targets an enemy general, points his sword, and says “I am going to have my battle with you now.” And then the action allows them space, and they fight in an epic way that somehow turns the tide of the battle.

Additionally, I know that Rixy has said a few times that a good Taryu-jiai duel would be great to see at some point. Crab/Dragon and Unicorn/Phoenix relations both provide ample story-material for this. Seeing the world through the eyes of a shugenja is an awesome read. Every time.
"Know this, Hitomi-sama. When you rise from earth to heaven, the Crab will be watching you. Do not think that our arrows cannot reach you in the sky. If we must, we will build a wall so high and so thick that even you cannot harm the Empire, and we will shoot at you from atop it until you fall screaming to the ground. Now, go." ~ Kuni Utagu, The Twenty-seven Days of Darkness—Day 14

Iagosan
Shireikan

Postby Iagosan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:17 pm

Daigotsu Max wrote:To start, I thought I'd echo the question Chris asked on the Spider forum - what kind of stories would you like to see for the Crab? Are there any characters you would like to see more of?

The story forum is the only one that I really troll. The other discussions I join are pretty exclusively story or cannon related. If the story team is wanting honest input from story fans then I have to speak my mind. The kind of things that I personally would like to see include...

I want to see an official stance of the Damned. They do exist, yet how they are used and where they are officially and unofficially is something of a couple of discussions in this forum. Stories of tainted people, and the threat of being tainted has been a bedrock of L5R cannon from the very beginning. I have always had a fascination of those that fight Jigoku in all of its forms. For the damned, they have no way out, every card is stacked against them, yet they are still defiant to the evil that consumes them. Hida Kozan is so badass that he carved the Crab will into his destiny. The damned carve their will into…breathing…and fighting for their own sanity, all while trying to maintain a semblance of their own honor that most of them know is fictitious. There are very few in L5R cannon that take the blow which Jigoku dished out and then give it the big middle finger to the end until they have to be put down.

I would also like to see some of the plot threads that have been left hanging move forward. Just because a story is a year or two old doesn’t mean the masses don’t want to see them. The story team has addressed this in the resolution series, such as seen in the Son of Death.

A few of these arcs that I have personably been waiting patiently for include…

• None of the eggs of pan-ku arcs have been touched.
• The fate of Hida Benjiro has not been discussed yet.
• The fate of a couple of the four which the Elemental Dragons gave their blessings to in The Righteous have not been touched outside of card flavor text. I have specifically been interested in Asako Rikate, particularly now that I know that he is part of a (or perhaps the) bloodspeaker cell, and is still in a misguided attempt trying to give Jigoku a middle finger (or at least that is what the “Righteous” fiction suggested).

For real guys, your goal is to “serve the will of Tengoku for as long as he had strength to resist” and you join a cult of Iuchiban warshipers? There is zero possible way for this to work out for you. Unless you are a mole or something. And if you are actually trying to infiltrate the cell, then whatever inquisitor or jade magistrate you are working for has bigger balls than a tanuki.

Also, I have a special hatred of Suikihime. I have made this clear in previous post to this forum. This bitch needs dethroned or killed. And Noboru still needs that rock to the cock as well. Just saying.

For the sake of the Crane clan and the pride of the Daidoji family (which is the last good thing the Crane have going for them), Daidoji Gensai needs to be gutted, or eaten by an oni, or taken to Trader’s Grove or something. I promise you, the L5R community will cheer like the Star Wars community if someone would have thrown a lightsaber into Jar Jar’s face. This dude is the Mister Morden to Vir Cotto. Except Gensai is a fucking moron. Everyone reading this wants to waive to Gensai “like this”.

Of the GG, Hiruma Akio is the only one that we haven’t seen how Fu Leng’s curse has affected her. I would personally prefer that the indomitable will of a Crab gives Fu Leng himself a middle finger. The fight between Akio and the curse of Fu Leng has yet to be described, however.

This being said I am going to spout out a little hero worship. Hiruma Akio is the greatest Crab hero since Kuni Osaku, Kisada (I) and Benjiro. It was her that stood up to Fu Leng himself, whereas the representative for every other clan failed. It was her that fell last to Fu Leng’s touch and Jukogu’s essence. It was her that crushed the skull of the most powerful Akutenshi presently in existence (next to Yajinden and Daigotsu himself); and her words were the greatest example of what it is to be a Crab: “Never… never suffer the darkness to live,”. Of all of the gempuku group, her final story is the most deserving to be shared.

Lastly, they say Hida Kisada II is a master with a sword. Prove it. In battle would be extra badass. *Points at my previous post* :-p
Last edited by Iagosan on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Know this, Hitomi-sama. When you rise from earth to heaven, the Crab will be watching you. Do not think that our arrows cannot reach you in the sky. If we must, we will build a wall so high and so thick that even you cannot harm the Empire, and we will shoot at you from atop it until you fall screaming to the ground. Now, go." ~ Kuni Utagu, The Twenty-seven Days of Darkness—Day 14

Iagosan
Shireikan

Postby Hyoton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:01 pm

Yasuki Binbo wrote:Mostly I am curious to know why the Crab are Traditionalist outside the Seikan/Shibatsu thing.

To me the Crab have always had a if it works go with it attitude towards things. They were the first to accept the Unicorn they adapted to working with the Scorpion. I have a hard time believing that they would go about the Colonies not adapting Invinda(sp) tech to improve the eternal war with the Spiderlands.

Yes, seconding that I would like to hear about this. Was it just because of the Spider?
Hyoton
Shireikan

Postby kaymar » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Do we know if Shinsei's last hope is still standing following the rampage of the Destroyers - and what have the years of peace done to it and those tending to that holy shrine?

We really need a handful of new Crab to take the limelight and run with it. Sure Renyu has done a fantastic job, but we need a few more. The old guard are not about any more (although it would be nice to know what happened to Daizu, and I do believe that HIda Ubogin (I think) has a helmet that makes him not age - we havn't heard about him in a LONG time (last was a letter to a certain Kaiu before he blew part of the wall up if I remember right), so it would be nice if there was a hint towards him.

But yeh, let's see the new faces who will carve out a slice of glory/honour/infamy out for themselves - and lets not forget having a fiction about the horrors of the wall once in a blue moon, remind everyone what it is that the Crab fight against and for.
* Tartan Terror * Kilt wearer * Ronin * Thinks Fezes are Cool * freelance peace-keeping agent, yes? *
kaymar
Kami

Postby Iagosan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:37 pm

kaymar wrote:But yeh, let's see the new faces who will carve out a slice of glory/honour/infamy out for themselves - and lets not forget having a fiction about the horrors of the wall once in a blue moon, remind everyone what it is that the Crab fight against and for.

This. :beer:

Iagosan
Shireikan

Postby Daigotsu Max » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Do you guys have a list of unresolved story prizes, by any chance?
Story Team - RPG freelance writer
Daigotsu Max
AEG Story Team

Postby barswanian » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:42 pm

I'm not remembering off the top of my head; but we can likely consult the scrolls

I know one of the biggest unresolved story source I remember is : http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=99888 the 2012 winner's choice series.

The Winner’s Choice this year will allow players to choose two personalities. The first is a currently legal personality from the Clan they won the event with; the second can be any personality from any faction from the list below, who was alive during the Celestial Arc. The first personality will discover what the ultimate fate of the second personality was, and Matsu Kasei, the Turquoise Champion, will write an epic story chronicling the fate of the heroes from the Celestial Arc.

I didn't manage to keep up with the complete list, but crab related I specifically recall Hida Benjiro: Fate Discovered by Isawa Kojiro & http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic. ... i#p1330267 Yasuki Makoto to discover the fate of hiruma Todori
3F 1C Barswanian - 3HR - 1GC - 2PH
Crab Clan * Loyal * Lorekeeper * Jade Hand

Played Hiruma Todori at Winter Court: Kyuden Gotei; Toritaka Kouseki at Winter Court; and Yasuki Tono at Winter Court: Toshi Ranbo
barswanian
Adjunct Faculty - Hida War College

Postby Doji Azai » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:11 pm

Just wanted to hop over here and let you know that I am still reading this. I see suggestions that I like and can get behind. I don't see an awful lot of questions, so I will keep my response to this short burst.

I'll come back later!
C Thomas Hand
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang at WC IV*Doji Azai*BackHand*Team Stella*Athos
L5R Story Team*L5R RPG Team
"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."
Doji Azai
AEG Story Team

Postby barswanian » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:20 pm

What's happened to the servants of the Jade & Obsidian hands?

Namely: http://imperialassembly.com/oracle/#cardid=3218 Hida Ubogin, who was given the Talisman of Meido: http://imperialassembly.com/oracle/#cardid=7758 which we were told would keep him from aging?
3F 1C Barswanian - 3HR - 1GC - 2PH
Crab Clan * Loyal * Lorekeeper * Jade Hand

Played Hiruma Todori at Winter Court: Kyuden Gotei; Toritaka Kouseki at Winter Court; and Yasuki Tono at Winter Court: Toshi Ranbo
barswanian
Adjunct Faculty - Hida War College

PreviousNext

Return to Story Forum