Kenny's Recipes and techniques

Discuss anything non-L5R related here.

Re: Kenny's Recipes and techniques

Postby r0cky143 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:51 pm

These are great! I just noticed this thread today.. i am going to have to try these. The wife will either thank you or send Hate IM's via my handle... just warning you! :rofl:
r0cky143
Shireikan

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Dirty Yasuki wrote:I wonder what tips and tricks you have for roasting, grilling, broiling meat (Pork, beef, chicken and some seafood). You don't have to post a recipe if you don't want to but if you do post one it would be much appreciated.

There's an Italian specialty store here on my side of the globe. I might buy some arborio rice and try out making the risotto.

of course i have recipes but there's really no tricks to any of that. look up standards for internal temperature and then get a good easily read thermometer.

Flat iron steak with balsamic reduction.
Ingredients

* 3 pounds beef flat iron steak (shoulder top blade)
* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 tablespoons coarsely ground mixed peppercorns
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 cup balsamic vinegar
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (parsley garnish is dumb feel free to ignore it)

Directions

1. Brush steak with olive oil, then press into ground peppercorns (both sides) and season with salt; set aside. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add flat iron, and cook to desired degree of doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
2. Once the steak has finished cooking, remove to a plate and keep warm. Stir the minced garlic into the skillet, and cook over medium heat until the garlic begins to brown around the edges, about 1 minute. Pour in the balsamic vinegar, increase heat to medium-high, and simmer until the vinegar has reduced by half.
3. Thinly slice the flat iron steak across the grain, and arrange on a serving platter. Pour the reduced balsamic overtop, and sprinkle with chopped parsley to serve.
--------------------------------------------------------
bacon and potato soup
Serves 6
Ingredients
15 slices of bacon you might want to stick with thick bacon and you want fattier bacon too because as you all know... fat = flavor
3 medium potatoes (i dare someone to try this out with sweet potato)
1 1/2 large onions
3 carrots
2 1/2 quarts of stock chicken or beef or pork or veggie you pick
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
nutmeg (as required)
3 3/4 tablespoons of butter
1 tables spoon of finely chopped parsley

First up dice those potatos, chop and dice them carrots. Dice the bacon. Prep is all done

Get a saucepan melt the butter over moderate heat add the onion and sweat (no browned or slightly before they would brown). Add the bacon and fry stir that bitch up. Add the carrot and saute until tender. now add the potato and lightly saute. next add the stock. then add the bay leaves. Just like the squirrel nut zippers said... Put a lid on it. Bring it to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. season with salt pepper and nutmeg to taste. Parsley is for garnish
----------------------------------------------------
sukiyaki
You need a hot plate and very big iron pot for this. This is served family style. in fact the whole family can take part in making this. warning this contains raw egg...
Serves 6
Ingredients
1 pound 14 ounces of sirloin steak
1-1/2 ounces of seitan: This is a meat substitute made by baking and drying wheat gluten you can probably find if healthfood stores
10 green onions
3/4 of a large onion
6 chinese cabbage leaves
6-1/2 ounces Chrysanthemum leaves
4-1/2 ounces of enoki mushrooms (these are the long slender white shrooms)
6 whole shiitake mushrooms
10-1/2 ounces shirataki noodles (thick)
1 pound 5 ounces of grilled tofu
Suet (as required): it's just cow fat
6 eggs
Seasoning:
2/3 cup of sugar
2/3 cup of soy sauce

And now how to make it there's a lot of steps
Prep:
First you need to soak the setan in a bowl of water for 2 minutes until it's soft make sure it's fully submerged. Then remove it and squeeze all of the water from the seitan. Next you need to boil the shirataki noodles. Bring your water to a boil then add the noodles and bring it back to a brief boil. Then drain the noodles. Next get some cutting boards and 2 sharp knives. First cut the noodles into 1-1/2 inch lengths. Cut the green opnions diagonally into 1/2 inch lengths. Next peel the onion and cut it into half moon slices. Seperate the leaf from the stem of each cabbage leaf, then cut the stems into matchsticks roughly 1-1/2 by 1/2 inches. Cut the leaves into into 1-1/2 inch wide rectangles. Next wash the chrysanthemum leaves and dry them. then cut them in half. Trim off and discard the roots of enoki mushrooms and seperat the mushrooms into clusters. Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms and cut the caps in half. Cut the grilled tofu lin half lengthwise then cut into 1-1/2 wide pieces. Here you need to switch cutting boards and knives. The beef shouldn't be too thick . cut them in half. That's all the prep.

Now heat the big fuck off pan over high heat. Put the suet in the pan and coat the whole surface of the pan as it melts. add some of the beef to the center of the pan laying each slice out individually. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of sugar over the beef. Stir the beef with the sugar and reduce to low heat. when the sugar has dissolved add 1/3 cup of soy and mix it in with the beef. add some of the onion, green onion, and cabbage stems around the beef increase to moderate heat. Gradually add some of the enoki and shiitake. add some of the noodle to the pan leaving a little distance between them and the beef. Gradually add some of the grilled tofu. When the bottom of the beef is cooked turn it over. add the cabbage leaves and the chrysanthemum and allow them to cook for a few minutes. Add the remaining soy and sugar according to taste. Once all of the vegetables have cooked through add some seitan to absorb the excess liquid. Break one egg per serving into bowls. If you have a hot plate treansfer the pan to it. Dip the cooked ingredients into the raw egg before eating. Continue to cook the dish adding the rest of the ingredients to the pan along with soy and sugar as desired.

Next time Spanish egg custard and still taking requests
"Tanuki never waste sake, and so it leaped from the stump to catch the cup before it spilled." - Toritaka Kouseki
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Postby Dirty Yasuki » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Many thanks Kenny. By any chance do you have a recipe for Armadillo Eggs?
Dirty Yasuki
Kami

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Armadillo Eggs are just jalapenos with sausage battered and deep fried right?

so get your jalapenos half them lengthwise scrap out the seeds and stuff (unless you the seeds because that's where the heat is.) brown up some sausage any sausage you want i suggest chorizo. it's already spicy.

the batter is tricky... i would go with the traditional japanese tempura batter

1 cup of japanese all purpose flour
1 cup of japanese water
1 japanese egg

if you want to add crunch take the flour and your preferred nut of choice and run them through a blend or food processor for a minute first.

you might also want to stuff your jalapenos with cheese too i recommend that. try anything but monty jack might just be the best.
"Tanuki never waste sake, and so it leaped from the stump to catch the cup before it spilled." - Toritaka Kouseki
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Postby Dirty Yasuki » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:16 pm

Hmm you've got the monterey jack and jalapeno's right but I'm not so sure about the frying in batter and chorizo although your version sounds yummy too. The one I heard from my bros who tried it in Texas involved Monty Jack cheese stuffed jalapeno's wrapped in bacon and grilled on a hibachi for 2hours? I'm not sure about the preparation or cooking time, which is why I was wondering if you knew how to prepare it.

I wonder if it's possible to combine your version and the one I heard about.
Dirty Yasuki
Kami

Postby Iagosan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:29 pm

wow all of these look great, thanks!
Also, my family eats a lot of Bambi. Do you have any venison recipes?
"Know this, Hitomi-sama. When you rise from earth to heaven, the Crab will be watching you. Do not think that our arrows cannot reach you in the sky. If we must, we will build a wall so high and so thick that even you cannot harm the Empire, and we will shoot at you from atop it until you fall screaming to the ground. Now, go." ~ Kuni Utagu, The Twenty-seven Days of Darkness—Day 14

Iagosan
Shireikan

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:40 am

Dirty Yasuki wrote:Hmm you've got the monterey jack and jalapeno's right but I'm not so sure about the frying in batter and chorizo although your version sounds yummy too. The one I heard from my bros who tried it in Texas involved Monty Jack cheese stuffed jalapeno's wrapped in bacon and grilled on a hibachi for 2hours? I'm not sure about the preparation or cooking time, which is why I was wondering if you knew how to prepare it.

I wonder if it's possible to combine your version and the one I heard about.
until you mentioned them i had honestly never heard so i googled and looked at several recipes. and then i through that together. you could totally wrap them in bacon. and grill and then top with cheese.
Iagosan wrote:wow all of these look great, thanks!
Also, my family eats a lot of Bambi. Do you have any venison recipes?
gamey meats are great for chili.

Where it same lamb insert bambi

So simple a 5 year old could make it.
Ingredients
1 lbs ground Lamb (to paraphrase Joesph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat... "Any Meat will do")
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tablespoon of chili powder (honestly there's little limit to how much you can use)
15 ounce can of red kidney beans (they can be left out for texas style chili
1 Jar of your favorite salsa
14 ounces of Beef Broth
1 tablespoon of cooking oil
1 tablespoon flour (optional)
1 12 ounce (or whatever) can of CORM (optional)
I like to add brightly colored bell Peppers (orange and reds and yellows) to the dish to sweeten it a bit you can add so many things you should try anything you can think of

In a fat ass pot add the oil and crank that shit to medium heat. Add in the Lamb, garlic and chili powder. As the meat starts to brown add the flour. (The recipe calls for pouring off the fat but the person who wrote this ((it wasn't me)) is obviously a douchebag so i added the flour bit to make a psuedo Ruox.)

Add the beans, salsa, CORM, and Broth. Bring this bitch to a boil. Reduce to low heat cover it and let it simmer for at least 15 minutes.

Let it cool. Then gobble that shit like the best cocks ever.
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Postby Dirty Yasuki » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:19 pm

sweet thanks kenny. :thumbup:
Dirty Yasuki
Kami

Postby Iagosan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Yeah I'm going to pull out the grinder and do the chili this weekend. Two questions:

1) The Bambi I use has no fat or geese to pour off, will the flower have any other purpose?

2) I've been told that adding baking chocolate makes the best damn chili on the planet, but haven't done it yet. Do you have any experience with this?
"Know this, Hitomi-sama. When you rise from earth to heaven, the Crab will be watching you. Do not think that our arrows cannot reach you in the sky. If we must, we will build a wall so high and so thick that even you cannot harm the Empire, and we will shoot at you from atop it until you fall screaming to the ground. Now, go." ~ Kuni Utagu, The Twenty-seven Days of Darkness—Day 14

Iagosan
Shireikan

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Iagosan wrote:Yeah I'm going to pull out the grinder and do the chili this weekend. Two questions:

1) The Bambi I use has no fat or geese to pour off, will the flower have any other purpose?

2) I've been told that adding baking chocolate makes the best damn chili on the planet, but haven't done it yet. Do you have any experience with this?

The flour will still thicken the chili.

Yes chocolate will add to the flavor so will guiness
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum