Kenny's Recipes and techniques

Discuss anything non-L5R related here.

Re: Kenny's Recipes and techniques

Postby Iagosan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Do you have any ideas for a sweet tasting sauce or glaze for grilled (or skillet cooked) chicken (or any meats for that matter)? I tried to do a glaze of worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and olive oil but it ended up making a funky hard candy that didn't go well at all.
"Know this, Hitomi-sama. When you rise from earth to heaven, the Crab will be watching you. Do not think that our arrows cannot reach you in the sky. If we must, we will build a wall so high and so thick that even you cannot harm the Empire, and we will shoot at you from atop it until you fall screaming to the ground. Now, go." ~ Kuni Utagu, The Twenty-seven Days of Darkness—Day 14

Iagosan
Shireikan

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:22 pm

i made a blackberry chinese five spice sauce recently for a bacon wrapped turducken (i have pictures) get blender some frozen blackberries, a little apple cider vinegar, olive oil, cinnamon, and chinese five spice powder. blend up everything but the oil leave the blender running and slowly drizzle in the oil (this is the basis for how you make a vinegrette only this is way less vinegar...)
i'll go find the full recipe it's around my house somewhere.
"Tanuki never waste sake, and so it leaped from the stump to catch the cup before it spilled." - Toritaka Kouseki
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Postby R@f » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:09 pm

how about some awsome sandwiches? :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hida Tazoshi ^_^
10F 3C
-/12/0
Crab clan * Samurai * Berserker * Commander * Unique * Hailing from Kyuden Bacolod, Philippines
Battle: Target enemy card with lower force: destroy it like a boss!!
R@f
Taisa

Postby Dirty Yasuki » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 pm

Here Here! I loves me some good loving sammich :love:
Dirty Yasuki
Kami

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:49 am

sammiches are easy. just combine flavors you like you.
The Elvis special
some butter
2 pieces of bread (buttered on the outside)
peanut butter
banana chop into half inch slices
honey

put a frying pan on high heat and let it heat up. spread peanut butter on non butter sided bread apply banana slices evenly lace with honey. place second piece of bread butter side up on top of the delicious mess you've created.... drop sammich in hot pan let grill much like grilled cheese flip when ready. remove from heat when ready.... scarf
Last edited by Hida Kenshiro on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tanuki never waste sake, and so it leaped from the stump to catch the cup before it spilled." - Toritaka Kouseki
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 am

i am eating the elvis special right now btw
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Tonight I am experimenting with ice cream... Strawberry balsamic ice cream
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Experiment failed curdled dairy base but I have an idea on how to fix this
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Postby Iagosan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Hida Kenshiro wrote:sammiches are easy. just combine flavors you like.

In my experience, what makes a tasty sandwich isn’t necessarily the meats and cheeses, but the sauce or dressing that goes on it. My roommates and I eat pretty cheaply, so it’s usually sandwich meat and American cheese on cheap bread, but I usually toss some Old Bay or something on it with Miracle Whip for flavor. Do you have any suggestions or recepies for sauces/dressings that would go well with cheap lunch sandwiches (or toasters)?
"Know this, Hitomi-sama. When you rise from earth to heaven, the Crab will be watching you. Do not think that our arrows cannot reach you in the sky. If we must, we will build a wall so high and so thick that even you cannot harm the Empire, and we will shoot at you from atop it until you fall screaming to the ground. Now, go." ~ Kuni Utagu, The Twenty-seven Days of Darkness—Day 14

Iagosan
Shireikan

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:17 am

Iagosan wrote:
Hida Kenshiro wrote:sammiches are easy. just combine flavors you like.

In my experience, what makes a tasty sandwich isn’t necessarily the meats and cheeses, but the sauce or dressing that goes on it. My roommates and I eat pretty cheaply, so it’s usually sandwich meat and American cheese on cheap bread, but I usually toss some Old Bay or something on it with Miracle Whip for flavor. Do you have any suggestions or recepies for sauces/dressings that would go well with cheap lunch sandwiches (or toasters)?

well i can teach you how to make your own mayo which means you can flavor it any way you want as well as control the salt content. flavored mayos are a great idea. and while i'm neither a fan or a detractor of the brand of salad cream (really it's salad cream not kidding best name for not mayo ever) you mentioned making your own mayo will probably taste better.

Ingredients

1 egg yolk*
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 cup oil, safflower or corn

Directions

In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you've got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.

Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.
(totally stole this straight off food network's site)

now after you've finished it is when you can flavor it. here are just some suggestions

Wasabi
Hot sauce
garlic
sofrito (i bet you're wondering what this is.... check out the mexican/italian/international aisle of your nearest market this will probably be a goyo product in a short glass bottle. it will be red and taste of mexico and tomatos.
white or black truffle oil (this is a bit more expensive of course)
bacon

now you know what else you can do with your self made mayo? salads... buffalo chicken salad, garlic potato salad, sofrito ham salad, bacon lobster salad (smoked paprika FTW),
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum