[Contest] Write an Essay, get a CRAB CLAN BANNER

Post and discuss previews of future sets here.

[Contest] Write an Essay, get a CRAB CLAN BANNER

Postby Kaiu Genji » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:28 am

Hey everyone!

Your friendly neighborhood travelling Crab here.

AEG has presented all you aspiring writers with a great opportunity!

Who can enter? Anybody that plays Crab, RPG or CCG, and wants a Crab Clan Banner!

What we want: An essay of "Why you play Crab" in less than 1000 words.

When do we want it by? 12:01 AM Pacific time, December 14th

Judges will be myself, Our resident Angry Crab, And Hida O-Win, our resident Irish Crab.

Essays can be PMd to the three of us, posted in-thread, or you can pm me for my email.

Good luck everyone! :HIDA:

Owner of the Crab Clan Catastrophe * The Dynasty
If you have L5R CCG rules questions, ask them unofficially in the Rules and Questions forum or officially ask them here!
Shawn Carman wrote:Those gods are bitches, man.

Hida Kojuro wrote: We are Crab. We have more force than you. Good luck stopping us. :HIDA:

Kaiu Genji
Traveling Crab

Re: [Contest] Write an Essay, get a CRAB CLAN BANNER

Postby Hida Bob » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:47 pm

So are the essays to be posted here or done via email?
Hida Yagimaki*Crab Clan Samurai*Sake Master
ImageImage
ImageImage
Proud retired member of the notorious, undefeated .... Image
Hida Bob
Revered Sensei

Postby Dirty Yasuki » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:39 am

That... that is what we're competing for. That is... rather large... innit?

:shock:

Edit: Just to clarify is that the whole thing plus the giant artpiece above or just the individual clan banner at the bottom?
Dirty Yasuki
Kami

Postby Kaiu Genji » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:24 am

Edited to answer Bob's question.
Dirty: You are competing for the individual Crab banner, not the super mega-huge one above it.
Owner of the Crab Clan Catastrophe * The Dynasty
If you have L5R CCG rules questions, ask them unofficially in the Rules and Questions forum or officially ask them here!
Shawn Carman wrote:Those gods are bitches, man.

Hida Kojuro wrote: We are Crab. We have more force than you. Good luck stopping us. :HIDA:

Kaiu Genji
Traveling Crab

Postby Hida Sturbaum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:52 am

expect an essay from me soon :D :HIDA:
Crab Clan* Shugenja* Earth* Jade* Jade Fister* Witch Hunter
Portland Kotei 2014 honor event winner
Tacoma Kotei 2015 TO
Tacoma Wisdom of Thunders GST Winner
Hida Sturbaum
Hida Starburns

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:42 pm

it's not that big i'll likely wear it as a scarf. a hida sized scarf.
"Tanuki never waste sake, and so it leaped from the stump to catch the cup before it spilled." - Toritaka Kouseki
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Postby Hero123 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:06 am

I would love to read a few. please share them if u can! :HIDA:
Hida Hero
5f 3c
0hr 9gc 1ph
Samurai * Resilient * exp.5 * Unique * Loyal * Determined * しつこい
Hero enters play for 1 less gold if your Allegiance is Traditionalist.
After the first time each turn Hero is moved from the current battlefield, move him to the current battlefield and straighten his unit.
Tireless Battle:Bow a target card in a unit and move Hero home.
“GETURDUN!”
Hero123
Rikugunshokan

Postby Rixy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Amazingly, despite the time crunch of work and a lot of writing surrounding the planning for HoR and upcoming PbP games, I have somehow found time for this.

Enjoy. Or don't. I suspect my RPG mileage varies widely from that of the CCG players.

Entry added to the pool. Thank you! -Genji
Femme Crab * Artisan * Darling of the Season GC '11 * Kuni Itsuko @ WC3
Rixy
Mistress of Honor

Postby shineyorkboy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:26 am

I hate how this looks as a forum post so please see another version here.

I have been asked to explain why I play Crab. To an extent I dread this endeavor, because I worry that I will fail to properly convey the feelings of passion and devotion that burn within my chest like a roaring inferno. However, the only way to guarantee failure is to not try and it would be a disservice to the ongoing legacy of exceptionalism that has lead me to devote my efforts to the Crab.
Rokugan is a land of culture, grace, and artistry. It would all be impossible without the Crab. I play Crab because they are the only thing standing between the Empire and utter destruction by the forces of evil. The Crab’s state of constant warfare has forged in them a mindset wholly unique in Rokugan.
Some Clans see war as a necessary evil, others as a chance to win glory and honor, but for the Crab it is a way of life. To be a Crab is to constantly live with the threat of the unspeakable horrors of a literal Hell on Earth looming over you. It is to live knowing that you will most likely die fighting the Shadowlands, your entire life reduced to a name on a casualty report and your remains crushed beneath the bulk of an oni or slowly digesting in an ogre’s gut.
In fact to die would almost be a mercy, for living means dealing with your experiences on the battlefield. Even mundane war leave men irrevocable changed by the horrors they witness, but the Shadowlands multiply this a thousandfold. After all what is an arrow volley or a cavalry charge compared to abominations whose very existence spits in the face of the idea of a rational universe.
Even worse off are those who have fallen to the Taint. These poor souls face the prospect of losing their souls to the evil they pledged their lives to defeat and being forced to aid it in bringing about the destruction of everything they once held dear. While in recent years Rokugan has been spared from the predations of this sinister force, this is only temporary. Daigotsu’s word is less than worthless. Eventually he will no longer find his agreement with the Empress convenient and he will once more release his corrupting influence upon the world.
For every Crab who dies in defense of Rokugan a thousand lesser men are spared facing the horrors the Crab face on a daily basis. They are free to mingle in their courts, write their poetry, and seek enlightenment atop mountain free of worry. Little, if any, thought is ever given to the sacrifices of the Crab. In fact the rest of Rokugan would all to eagerly forget this ever present threat even exists.
So why do the Crab fight? Why do they risk losing life, sanity, or their very souls against an enemy which can never be truly defeated? Why do they sacrifice so much for an Empire that thinks so little of them, that bemoans granting their every request for additional resources to support their efforts on the Wall?
It is not for honor or glory. Men willing to die for such things can be had by the dozen in a land like Rokugan. Besides such abstract ideals do little to put food in the belly of a man who has gone weeks without proper rations or grant rest to a man who has fought for days without sleep or dispel the nightmares that plague a man who has seen his brothers in arms ripped limb from limb by some monstrosity from beyond the Pit.
Ultimately the Crab fight for a very simple reason. They fight because no one else will. Each and every Crab knows that he and the men and women who stand beside him are the only thing standing between the unstoppable hordes of Jigoku and the rest of the Empire. They are the Crab, they are the wall that holds back the darkness. This is why I play Crab, because they embody the grim reality of a society committed wholly to an endless, hopeless war and the glimmers of nobility that shine through all the brighter due to the despair they are surrounded by.

Added to the pool. Thank you! Also I had to request permission for your google drive document. -Genji
Kolat * Merchant * Tactician * Loyal * The Poet Crab * The John Paul Jones of Rokugan
Hida Keigo @ WC III
Kasuga Aizawa @ WC IV
shineyorkboy
Shireikan

Postby Hida Kenshiro » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:55 pm

i am not gonna get around to doing this sadly.

Edit. Boooo :( -Genji
"Tanuki never waste sake, and so it leaped from the stump to catch the cup before it spilled." - Toritaka Kouseki
Hida Kenshiro
LEAST OF ALL EVILS

Next

Return to Previews Forum